Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Age of Autism newsletter

I subscribe to a daily web based paper called Age of Autism. Even though I have the feed coming directly to my blog, I just wanted to point out that there are some really interesting articles today concerning the H1N1 flu shots. I've been worrying lately that I'm biased about this given that I have a close friend with an autistic son and a great niece that started having seizures within a week of getting her 6 month vaccinations. The worry has come with all the publicity surrounding the new flu shots. Having an 8 year old daughter of my own, the decision on whether or not to have her vaccinated for the flu has not come easily, and truthfully, I'm still struggling with it. But that's a lot what being a parent is about , making decisions concerning the well being of our children until such a time that they can make those decisions for themselves. And then still, we worry....

I'd love to hear any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Until talking with you about the different Vaccination risks/side effects, I never even thought of the effects they can have. My not having children has alot to do with it, but also the fact that I've never been vaccinated (mother's choice). I think it's great that you are putting this information out there and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. The more I read and learn the more I realize how important it is to weigh the risks/benefits of these shots instead of just taking them for granted because we are told to do it. Im personally glad now that my mother made the choice against vaccinating: Im 35 years old and have been sick very little in my lifetime. Keep the information coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are vaccinations that I wouldn't let my kids be without but I'm disappointed with myself for not researching more thoroughly when my daughter was a baby and getting 4 shots at a time. There is just too much info out there that we are not getting unless we look for it. Thanks for reading lady!

    ReplyDelete